And on Day 3, I figured out how to code a (very simple) website (sorta)

One week down, fourteen more to go in this Fall semester. Time is a-flying!

I’d like to take you back to this past Wednesday – my third day of classes. I am taking an online class, Art 003: Web Design and Visuals for the Web. Seems simple enough. I have a decent enough grasp on the fundamentals of images, ‘visuals’ and the like and how they’re used online.

Wrong. Oh I was so very wrong. As I was going to the syllabus I realized that I would have to actually learn how to code a website for the first assignment. I cracked open my textbook and tried to find an easy way to use CSS for the first time. It spelled mostly everything out and I already knew most of the fundamentals, but by and large: new territory.

So I got to work. I read the first twenty pages of the textbook – going beyond the assigned reading portion – and opened TextEdit on my computer to start writing the code. I had typed up what I thought were all 50 lines of correct code.

I typed this code! Then I read over it approximately one thousand times.

I typed this code! Then I read over it approximately one thousand times.

Then I started running into problems. The font was being read properly, the page was all misaligned, and the spacing between my paragraphs was irregular. Back and forth I went for an hour, carefully scanning each character looking for the error. I realized I was learning a whole new language. It felt like I was back in spanish class, knowing the general gist of the phrases I was reading, but not fully grasping every word.

Now, I’ve been around HTML a while. I use the basics for Hypable, such as italicizing and bolding. I can figure out how to resize images and align them certain ways, and I can get into a Tumblr blog’s theme code and change the colors of the page or the margin sizes. But goodness, actually creating something from nothing proved to be quite the task.

After finally reading through the chapter once more and inspecting the element (looking at the HTML of the example my professor posted), I took to looking around my classes’ site for HTML help.

Lo and behold: there is a generator where you can import a .html file and it’ll scan through, pointing out errors and, this is the best part, the reason why they are errors. A reasoning for the cause! My rational brain was so thankful. I went from 14 errors to 3 in one try (the back up to 17 with bad editing on my part) and finally, the message that I was free and clear of errors and my file was good to go!

This assignment isn’t due until September 8th, but I am so happy to have accomplished this task already.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s